When grief finds us, we can choose to find each other.
Volunteer to support a person in grief.
You’re Not Alone – Grief Connection (YNA) trains you as a volunteer and then matches you with a grieving participant going through a similar grief experience to yours.
Once matched, you and your participant will meet regularly by telephone for up to a year, if needed. The match is confidential; you are providing a safe space for the participant to speak openly about the things they feel uncomfortable sharing with their friends or family.
Can you answer “yes” to these questions?
- Have you experienced a personal loss and are now ready to support others going through this journey?
- Can you listen without counseling or advising?
- Are you aware of personal boundaries?
- Can you maintain confidentiality?
- Are you non-judgmental and empathetic?
- Are you willing to ask for help if you have questions or concerns?
If you’ve answered yes, we are looking for somebody just like you!
- Good oral and written English skills
- Over the age of 18
- A police reference check
- Two references
- Ability to attend training and orientation (via Zoom)
- Willing to commit to a weekly telephone call with the participant
- Because of the training involved, we would like all mentors to commit to one year with the program
Why should you volunteer?
- Flexible schedule
- Volunteer from home
- Full volunteer training and ongoing support for volunteers is provided
- Know you are making a difference in the life of someone who is grieving
Interested in giving friendly support to somebody in grief? Complete the form and our volunteer coordinator will be in touch soon for a chat about volunteering for the YNA program.